Circle Time (every day)
- Song: London Bridge
- We are learning new songs now that Kai really enjoys singing and has begun to pick up the words to songs we sing all the time. Each song is scheduled for two weeks, so that she has plenty of time to pick up the lyrics and hand gestures.
- PE: Cosmic Kids Yoga Story
- Kai asked to do more Yoga, so we decided she could pick a Cosmic Kids Yoga story to do each week. We’re doing We’re Going on a Bear Hunt this week.
- Calendar: Moon Phases
- We are charting the phases of the moon.
Outdoor Nature Study: the Moon
- We are doing a night nature walk to look at the moon, and talk more about why the moon has phases. We’ll be recording the current moon phase in our nature journal.
Process Art: Moon Lantern
- We are painting a paper lantern to look like the moon.
Indoor Nature Study: the Moon
- We’re going to sequence moon phases and talk about how the Moon orbits the Earth.
Life Skill: Tea Time/Wash the Table
- Tuesday is tea time! We have a treat and some lemonade in a tea cup and I read a book from the book basket. This term, Kai is in charge of washing the table after we’re done.
- We have started looking at quality of numbers, as I realized Kai has figured out adding and subtracting numbers under 9 all by herself. I wasn’t ready for her to be so ready for math, especially since we usually do a single page of her math book once a week. We are using The Gnomes’ Gemstones by FromJennifer, to make sure Kai has a really good feel for numbers before she gets too ahead of me with the calculating.
Social Studies: Asia
- We are pulling out our Asia continent box for the first time. Right now, a lot of the material focuses on the Lunar New Year and China.
Sensory: Egg Carton Dragon Smash
- I made “moon rocks” in red and gold for Kai to smash with her egg carton dragon.
Seasonal: Lunar New Year
- We are learning about Lunar New Year and how it is celebrated in China.
Kitchen: Sesame Seed Balls
- We’re going out on a limb and trying something I’ve never made before.
Ancestor Tale: Orion
- Instead of reading a story from a book, Fridays are for oral story telling. I learn a new story every other week to tell Kai, and we act out the story with props. Usually the story gets acted out again and again during playtime and bed time, as Kai tends to really enjoy this kind of story telling. During late winter we are focusing on stories about constellations.
Painting and Drawing
- On Fridays, I tell a story and Kai is invited to paint or draw something from it.
If you want to see how it went or follow along, I generally post our school photos to our Instagram either on the same day or soon after.
Specific Materials for Week 4:
- Paper Lantern
- Moon cards
- Asia continent Box
- Egg Carton
- Cotton Balls
- Food Color
See our School Supplies post for general supplies used throughout the year.