Circle Time (every day)
- Song: This Little Light of Mine
- We are learning new songs now that Kai really enjoys singing and has begun to pick up the words to songs we sing all the time. Each song is scheduled for two weeks, so that she has plenty of time to pick up the lyrics and hand gestures.
- PE: Cosmic Kids Yoga Story
- Kai asked to do more Yoga, so we decided she could pick a Cosmic Kids Yoga story to do each week. We’re doing Squish the Fish this week.
- Calendar: Moon Phases
- We are charting the phases of the moon.
Outdoor Nature Study: Stars and the Full Moon
- We are doing a night nature walk to look at the stars, and introduce some constellations. We’ll also be recording the full moon in our nature journal.
Process Art: Wax Resist Stars
- I draw stars with a white crayons and Kai uses liquid watercolors to make the picture appear.
Holiday Martin Luther King jr. Day
- We are talking about MLK day, and why we celebrate it and then doing a small service project.
Indoor Nature Study: Stars
- We are going to talk about stars, how far away they are, how their light gets to us, and how our ancestors used them for navigation.
Life Skill: Tea Time/Wash the Table
- Tuesday is tea time! We have a treat and some lemonade in a tea cup and I read a book from the book basket. This term, Kai is in charge of washing the table after we’re done.
- We have started looking at quality of numbers, as I realized Kai has figured out adding and subtracting numbers under 9 all by herself. I wasn’t ready for her to be so ready for math, especially since we usually do a single page of her math book once a week. We are using The Gnomes’ Gemstones by FromJennifer, to make sure Kai has a really good feel for numbers before she gets too ahead of me with the calculating.
Social Studies: The Middle East
- I know that the Middle East isn’t technically a continent, but we’re isolating it as its own geographic and cultural region and giving it a “continent” box, as Asia is already so huge and diverse.
Sensory: Pompom trees
- I have pompoms, pipe clears, and leaves for Kai to play with, and maybe make some trees.
Seasonal: Tu B’shevat
- We are learning about holidays this term, and today’s holiday is Tu B’shevat, the Jewish new year for trees.
Kitchen: Taste test
- We’re going to try the fruits associated with Tu B’shevat: grapes, pomegranates, dates, olives, and maybe figs if I can find some.
Ancestor Tale: Ursa Major and Minor
- Instead of reading a story from a book, Fridays are for oral story telling. I learn a new story every other week to tell Kai, and we act out the story with props. Usually the story gets acted out again and again during playtime and bed time, as Kai tends to really enjoy this kind of story telling. During late winter we are focusing on stories about constellations.
Painting and Drawing
- On Fridays, I tell a story and Kai is invited to paint or draw something from it.
If you want to see how it went or follow along, I generally post our school photos to our Instagram either on the same day or soon after.
Specific Materials for Week 2:
- MLK 3 Part Cards
- Middle East Continent Box
- Tu B’shevat 3 Part Cards
- Tu B’shevat Fruit
See our School Supplies post for general supplies used throughout the year.