This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links provide us with a small commission at no cost to you when you use them to purchase goods.
Circle Time (every day)
- Song: I’m a Little Teapot
- We are learning new songs now that Kai really enjoys singing and has begun to pick up the words to songs we sing all the time. Each song is scheduled for two weeks, so that she has plenty of time to pick up the lyrics and hand gestures.
- PE: Ball Skills
- We are practicing throwing, catching, and kicking with balls and bean bags.
- Calendar: Monday
- We are learning about the days of the week.
Outdoor Nature Study: Bird’s Nests
- We are looking for bird’s nests this week. We have an old one in our front yard, but we’ll also be taking a nature walk and hoping to spot more. We will be recording the nests we find in our nature journal.
Process Art: Make a Nest
- We’re making our own nests with twigs, grass, and other found goodies.
Indoor Nature Study: Tundras
- We are focusing on biomes for Late Fall, and talking about the different environments that animals live in across the globe. This week we are talking about tundras, the animals that live there, their homes and food.
Life Skill: Folding Napkins and Laundry/Tea Time
- Tuesday is tea time! First, Kai is going to help fold our napkins. We’re working on getting a nice even fold in quarters. Then we are going to have a treat and some lemonade in a tea cup and I will read a book from the book basket.
- We also do a math activity from Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 1 or another math activity.
Social Studies: Map My Family
- We are pulling out a map and finding all the places our family lives.
Sensory: Human Nest
- We are building a human sized nest with cardboard, our huge building blocks, pillows and lots of blankets!
Seasonal: Pumpkin Carving
- It’s pumpkin carving time!
Kitchen: Roasting Pumpkin Seeds
- When I was a kid, my mom always roasted the pumpkin seeds from the pumpkins we carved, so we are going to give it a try as both a Halloween activity and a family tradition!
Ancestor Tale: Our Family
- Instead of reading a story from a book, Fridays are for oral story telling. This week, I’m be telling the story of how we became a family.
Painting and Drawing
- On Fridays, I tell a story and Kai is invited to paint or draw something from it.
If you want to see how it went or follow along, I generally post our school photos to our Instagram either on the same day or soon after.
Specific Materials for Week 1:
- A map of the Earth or your country
See our School Supplies post for general supplies used throughout the year.
Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
- Pumpkin seeds from one pumpkin
- 3 tbsps butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp seasoning of choice
- My mom always used sugar and cinnamon and basically candied the things, but it was the eighties. Try pumpkin pie spice mix, worcester sauce, cayenne, or paprika.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 F, and make sure it comes to temp before putting the seeds in
- Remove pumpkin guts and rinse seeds in cold water
- Pat seeds dry
- Combine butter, salt, and any seasoning
- Toss seeds in butter mix
- Place evenly on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil or a silicon mat
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring the seeds every 10-15 minutes
- Turn your oven up to 325 F, and bake for 5 more minutes or until brown