This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links provide us with a small commission at no cost to you when you use them to purchase goods.
Circle Time (every day)
- Song: She’ll Be Coming ‘Round The Mountain
- We are learning new songs now that Kai really enjoys singing and has begun to pick up the words to songs we sing all the time. Each song is scheduled for two weeks, so that she has plenty of time to pick up the lyrics and hand gestures.
- PE: Throwing and Catching
- We are working on throwing and catching balls, bean bags, and other fun to toss things.
- Calendar: Weather
- We are charting our daily weather.
Outdoor Nature Study: Hills and Mountains
- Our local nature park has one huge hill, so we will climb up to the top and explore the hill today while noticing what makes the hill different from the other land around it.
Process Art: Ice painting
- We are painting with ice cubes tinted with liquid watercolors today.
Indoor Nature Study: The formation of mountains/tectonic plates
- We are studying tectonic plates and looking at how they smash into each other to form mountains.
Life Skill: Tea Time/Washing Dishes
- Tuesday is tea time! First, Kai is going to help wash our cups and plates afterward. We have a treat and some lemonade in a tea cup and I read a book from the book basket.
- We also do a math activity from Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 1 or another math activity.
- We’re going to learn about ice and how it effects us. Sadly, since it’s 70F here right now, its unlikely we’ll actually see any ice outside our freezer.
Sensory: Couch mountain/fort
- We’ll be getting out all the blankets, pillows and cushions in the house to build a giant mountain, or maybe a fort.
Seasonal: Take down Solstice decorations
- It’s that time of year when all the festivities are over, and its time to pack up the decorations.
- Kai’s been having a lot of fun with things she can squish and smoosh lately, so I thought it would be fun to do homemade gauc.
Ancestor Tale: Creation Stories (Celtic)
- Instead of reading a story from a book, Fridays are for oral story telling. I learn a new story every other week to tell Kai, and we act out the story with props. Usually the story gets acted out again and again during playtime and bed time, as Kai tends to really enjoy this kind of story telling. During early winter we are focusing on creation stories around the world.
Painting and Drawing
- On Fridays, I tell a story and Kai is invited to paint or draw something from it.
If you want to see how it went or follow along, I generally post our school photos to our Instagram either on the same day or soon after.
Specific Materials for Week 2:
- Assorted rocks
See our School Supplies post for general supplies used throughout the year.
- 3 avocados
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Chunk avocados and then toss with lime juice in a large bowl.
- Add spices.
- Mash with a potato masher.
- Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, and cilantro.
- Mix well.
- It’s even better it you make it ahead of time.