This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links provide us with a small commission at no cost to you when you use them to purchase goods.
Circle Time (every day)
- Song: She’ll Be Coming ‘Round The Mountain
- We are learning new songs now that Kai really enjoys singing and has begun to pick up the words to songs we sing all the time. Each song is scheduled for two weeks, so that she has plenty of time to pick up the lyrics and hand gestures.
- PE: Throwing and Catching
- We are working on throwing and catching balls, bean bags, and other fun to toss things.
- Calendar: Weather
- We are charting our daily weather.
Outdoor Nature Study: What are Rocks?
- We’ll be on the lookout for different kinds of rocks on our nature walk. Then we will record them in our nature journals.
Process Art: Rock mandala
- We are going to play around with symmetry and make rock mandalas.
Indoor Nature Study: Formation and Composition of the Sun
- We’re going to learn about the sun, and what it’s made of.
Life Skill:Tea Time/Washing Dishes
- Tuesday is tea time! First, Kai is going to help wash our cups and plates afterward. We have a treat and some lemonade in a tea cup and I read a book from the book basket.
- We also do a math activity from Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 1 or another math activity.
- We live in a very rainy area, and so we are going to learn about rain, why and how clouds make rain, and probably jump in a few puddles left by the rain.
Sensory: Do rocks sink or float?
- I have a bunch of different rocks (including some pumice), and a bucket of water for Kai to see if rocks sink or float.
Seasonal: Decorate for Winter Solstice
- Some of our decorations are already up, but we’re putting the rest of them up today.
Kitchen: Winter Solstice Cookies
- These thumbprint cookies filled with lemon curd are a nice reminder that the short days are about to get longer again.
Ancestor Tale: Creation Stories (Norse)
- Instead of reading a story from a book, Fridays are for oral story telling. I learn a new story every other week to tell Kai, and we act out the story with props. Usually the story gets acted out again and again during playtime and bed time, as Kai tends to really enjoy this kind of story telling. During early winter we are focusing on creation stories around the world.
Painting and Drawing
- On Fridays, I tell a story and Kai is invited to paint or draw something from it.
If you want to see how it went or follow along, I generally post our school photos to our Instagram either on the same day or soon after.
Specific Materials for Week 2:
- Assorted rocks
See our School Supplies post for general supplies used throughout the year.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- dash of salt
- lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream sugar and butter.
- Add salt and almond extract.
- Mix in flour slowly. It may be easier to just knead it in.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Form into balls, and then use your thumb to create an indention for the lemon curd.
- Fill indentions with lemon curd.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes until bottoms are golden.