This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links provide us with a small commission at no cost to you when you use them to purchase goods.
Circle Time (every day)
- Song: She’ll Be Coming ‘Round The Mountain
- We are learning new songs now that Kai really enjoys singing and has begun to pick up the words to songs we sing all the time. Each song is scheduled for two weeks, so that she has plenty of time to pick up the lyrics and hand gestures.
- PE: Hopping
- We are working on hopping on one foot.
- Calendar: Weather
- We are charting our daily weather.
Outdoor Nature Study: Dirt, Mud, and Soil
- We’re in high mud puddle season around here, so we’ll be looking at mud and soil. We’re going to explore what makes up dirt and identify soil, clay, and sand in our nature area.
Process Art: Mud painting
- A little mud, a little liquid water color, some water and a squirt of dish soap makes some great mud paint. You want the mixture to be thin enough to paint with.
Indoor Nature Study: Big Bang
- This week we are talking about the formation of the universe.
Life Skill: Tea Time/Washing Dishes
- Tuesday is tea time! First, Kai is going to help wash our cups and plates afterward. We have a treat and some lemonade in a tea cup and I read a book from the book basket.
- We also do a math activity from Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 1 or another math activity.
- We are focusing on the weather for early winter, and so today we’ll be talking about different kinds of clouds. We will also record the weather on our weather chart.
Sensory: Make dirt
- Mix soil, clay, and sand to make different kinds of dirt.
- We are Unitarian Universalists, and this week we are celebrating Chalica, a holiday that asks us to meditate on the seven principles of UUism.
Kitchen: Mud Pudding
- Chocolate pudding with crumbled oreos and some gummy worms, for a week where I needed a really simple kitchen task.
Ancestor Tale: Creation Stories
- Instead of reading a story from a book, Fridays are for oral story telling. I learn a new story every other week to tell Kai, and we act out the story with props. Usually the story gets acted out again and again during playtime and bed time, as Kai tends to really enjoy this kind of story telling. During early winter we are focusing on creation stories around the world.
Painting and Drawing:
- On Fridays, I tell a story and Kai is invited to paint or draw something from it.
If you want to see how it went or follow along, I generally post our school photos to our Instagram either on the same day or soon after.
Specific Materials for Week 1:
- Liquid water color
- Dish soap
See our School Supplies post for general supplies used throughout the year.