This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links provide us with a small commission at no cost to you when you use them to purchase goods.
Circle Time (every day)
- Song: I’m a Little Teapot
- We are learning new songs now that Kai really enjoys singing and has begun to pick up the words to songs we sing all the time. Each song is scheduled for two weeks, so that she has plenty of time to pick up the lyrics and hand gestures.
- Kai loves Cosmic Kids Yoga and we are working on Camel Pose
- Calendar: Sunday
- We are learning about the days of the week.
Outdoor Nature Study: Barns and Farms
- We’re going to visit a working farm to see how our food is grown.
Process Art: Weaving
- We are going to try some simple nature weaving on a strung frame.
Indoor Nature Study: Mangroves
- We are focusing on biomes for Late Fall, and talking about the different environments that animals live in across the globe. This week we are talking about mangroves, the animals that live there, their homes and food.
Life Skill: Folding Napkins and Laundry/Tea Time
- Tuesday is tea time! First, Kai is going to help fold our napkins. We’re working on getting a nice even fold in quarters. Then we are going to have a treat and some lemonade in a tea cup and I will read a book from the book basket.
- We also do a math activity from Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 1 or another math activity.
Social Studies: My Neighborhood
- We are going to take a walk through our neighborhood, and talk about the different types of people, animals, plants, and houses that make up our immediate neighbors.
Sensory: Corn, Squash, and Beans Sensory Bin
- We’re going to play with dried corn, beans, and some pumpkin seeds for planting in our play dough mud.
- We’re going to make corn dollies with some string and dried corn husks. Traditionally these are made with wheat, but corn husks are easier for little kids. You just soak the corn husks in water for about 10 minutes and then use string or raffia to fold and tie them into shape.
- We’re making popcorn, by adding popcorn kernels to a brown bag and then microwaving it for two minutes and then adding butter and spices. If you are feeling really enthusiastic, you can make popcorn on the stove.
Ancestor Tale: Three Sisters
- Instead of reading a story from a book, Fridays are for oral story telling. I learn a new story every other week to tell Kai, and we act out the story with props. Usually the story gets acted out again and again during playtime and bed time, as Kai tends to really enjoy this kind of story telling.
Painting and Drawing
- On Fridays, I tell a story and Kai is invited to paint or draw something from it.
If you want to see how it went or follow along, I generally post our school photos to our Instagram either on the same day or soon after.
Specific Materials for Week 7:
- Loom: we are using an old picture frame with string attached every inch and a half for our loom.
- “Mud” or Brown Play dough
- Dried corn, beans, and pumpkin seeds
- Corn husks
- Popcorn kernels
- Brown lunch sack
See our School Supplies post for general supplies used throughout the year.