This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links provide us with a small commission at no cost to you when you use them to purchase goods.
Circle Time (every day)
- We are learning new songs now that Kai really enjoys singing and has begun to pick up the words to songs we sing all the time. Each song is scheduled for two weeks, so that she has plenty of time to pick up the lyrics and hand gestures.
- PE: Yoga
- Kai loves Cosmic Kids Yoga and we are working on Pigeon Pose this week.
- Calendar: Monday
- We are learning about the days of the week.
Outdoor Nature Study: Hives, Skeps, and Bee Boxes
- My step mother runs an a small, organic apiary on her parents homestead. While her apiary is too far away to visit this week, we are going to go see the bees at our local nature preserve.
Process Art: Yellow Texture Stamp Painting
- We are making stamps of different textured materials like bubble wrap and corrugated cardboard. We’re using them to make bee hive paintings.
Indoor Nature Study: Tropical Rainforest
- We are focusing on biomes for Late Fall, and talking about the different environments that animals live in across the globe. This week we are talking about tropical rainforests, the animals that live there, their homes and food.
Life Skill: Folding Napkins and Laundry/Tea Time
- Tuesday is tea time! First, Kai is going to help fold our napkins. We’re working on getting a nice even fold in quarters. Then we are going to have a treat and some lemonade in a tea cup and I will read a book from the book basket.
- We also do a math activity from Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 1 or another math activity.
Social Studies: Babies
- When I planned this part, we were expecting a new baby in the house. I think we are still going to talk about babies, because Kai is very interested in them.
Sensory: Cranberry Water Harvest
- Scooping for cranberries! One large tub of water, a bunch of rejected cranberries, and an assortment of scoops, funnels, tongs, and spoons. Sounds like fun to me.
Seasonal: Cranberry Harvest
- We are far enough south that the local cranberry harvest continues much later in the season than in New England.
Kitchen: Cranberry Orange Scones
- This is a new to us recipe, as I have never made scones before. We’re going to experiment, and talk about why its fun to try new things.
Ancestor Tale: Cranberry Harvest
- Instead of reading a story from a book, Fridays are for oral story telling. I learn a new story every other week to tell Kai, and we act out the story with props. Usually the story gets acted out again and again during playtime and bed time, as Kai tends to really enjoy this kind of story telling.
Painting and Drawing
- On Fridays, I tell a story and Kai is invited to paint or draw something from it.
If you want to see how it went or follow along, I generally post our school photos to our Instagram either on the same day or soon after.
Specific Materials for Week 5:
- Cardboard, bubble wrap, or other material for texture painting.
- Scoops, Funnels, and Tongs for sensory play
See our School Supplies post for general supplies used throughout the year.
- We’re trying Ina Garten’s Cranberry Orange Scones this week.