This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links provide us with a small commission at no cost to you when you use them to purchase goods.
Circle Time (every day)
- Song: I’m a Little Teapot
- We are learning new songs now that Kai really enjoys singing and has begun to pick up the words to songs we sing all the time. Each song is scheduled for two weeks, so that she has plenty of time to pick up the lyrics and hand gestures.
- PE: Yoga
- Kai loves Cosmic Kids Yoga and we are working on Boat Pose this week.
- Calendar: Sunday
- We are learning about the days of the week, starting with Sunday.
Outdoor Nature Study: Dens and Caves
- Kai and I are going to the nature center to see animal burrows. The we are going to take a nature walk and see if we spot any burrows or other animal homes, and record them in our nature journals.
Process Art: Build a Den
- We’re going to practice building our own dens with twigs and other found items, and focus on the difference between in and out.
Indoor Nature Study: Deciduous Forests
- We are focusing on biomes for Late Fall, and talking about the different environments that animals live in across the globe. Our first biome is the deciduous forest.
Life Skill: Folding Napkins and Laundry/Tea Time
- Tuesday is tea time! First, Kai is going to help fold our napkins. We’re working on getting a nice even fold in quarters. Then we are going to have a treat and some lemonade in a tea cup and I will read a book from the book basket.
- We also do a math activity from Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 1 or another math activity.
Social Studies: My Family
- Our social studies for late fall is focused around families. We are going to work on our immediate family tree of parents and grandparents this week.
Sensory: Fall Spices Playdough
- We are going to experiment with adding fall spices to our playdough, including cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and pumpkin pie spice mix.
Seasonal: Prepare for Halloween
- We are going to put up our Halloween decorations around the house, while talking about how different people celebrate the end of fall.
Kitchen: Mixing /Bake Bread
- We’re making pumpkin bread, a family favorite. We’ll be mixing, measuring, pouring, and generally working on our kitchen skills.
Ancestor Tale: Our Family
- Instead of reading a story from a book, Fridays are for oral story telling. For the next two weeks, I’ll be telling the story of how we became a family.
Painting and Drawing
- On Fridays, I tell a story and Kai is invited to paint or draw something from it.
If you want to see how it went or follow along, I generally post our school photos to our Instagram either on the same day or soon after.
Specific Materials for Week 1:
- Found nature bits
- Fall spices
- pumpkin pie mix
See our School Supplies post for general supplies used throughout the year.
Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Whisk together eggs, pumpkin, coconut oil, apple sauce and water
- Mix dry ingredients, and then combine with wet ingredients
- Grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan, and then pour in mixture
- Bake for 60 minutes