This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links provide us with a small commission at no cost to you when you use them to purchase goods.
- Song: Itsy Bitsy Spider
- We are learning new songs now that Kai really enjoys singing and has begun to pick up the words to songs we sing all the time. Each song is scheduled for two weeks, so that she has plenty of time to pick up the lyrics and hand gestures.
- PE: Animal Walks
- Crab Walk, Bear Walk, Frog Jumps, and Inchworm Crawl are our go to animal walks, but we’ll be trying out some new ones on this list of 13 Animal Walks for Kids.
- Calendar: Fall Holidays
- We are going to be identifying and adding fall holidays to our calendar.
Outdoor Nature Study: Roots
- We are going to the park to looks for roots. We will be recording the root in our nature journals and practicing counting them.
- We will talk about how things are different sizes, from great roots of the oak tree, to tiny little dandelion roots, to edible roots like carrots.
Process Art and Handwork: Water Drop Painting
- Using a dropper and liquid water colors, we are going to create some art.
Indoor Nature Study: How Trees Get Water
- We will be using diagrams and three part cards to learn about different types of roots and how water moves through a tree. With three part cards we often play matching and memory games, as well as vocab building.
- We will also be putting some carnations in dyed water, so that we can see how water travels up the flower.
Life Skill: Set Table
- Tuesday is tea time! First, Kai is going to set the table. We’re working on putting the utensils in the correct places. Then we are going to have a treat and some lemonade in a tea cup and I will read a book from the book basket.
- We also do a math activity from Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 1.
- Kai and I will learn about our skin, and how skin works to keep everything inside our bodies We will be using three-part cards and our magnetic human body.
Sensory: Tree Playdough
- We will be using playdough, sticks, and other decorative elements to make trees.
Seasonal: Raking Leaves (and then jumping in them)
- By the second week of October our yard will be more leaves than grass, and what better time to rake up some piles and go jump in them?
Kitchen: Measuring/Trail Mix
- We are going to measure out our ingredients and then mix them up to make trail mix.
- Instead of reading a story from a book, Fridays are for oral story telling. I learn a new story every other week to tell Kai, and we act out the story with props. Usually the story gets acted out again and again during playtime and bed time, as Kai tends to really enjoy this kind of story telling.
Painting and Drawing
- On Fridays, I tell a story and Kai is invited to paint or draw something from it.
If you want to see how it went or follow along, I generally post our school photos to our Instagram either on the same day or soon after.
- Natural Food Coloring
- Pine needle, Pine cones, Leaves, etc. (for tree playdough)
See our School Supplies post for general supplies used throughout the year.
Trail Mix Recipe
- 1/2 cup Pretzels
- 1/2 cup Rice Chex
- 1/4 cup Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 cup Pecans
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 cup Dried Blueberries
- 1/4 cup Butterscotch Chips
- Mix together and enjoy