It’s been a hard winter over here. My husband hurt himself and the recovery was slow, and then Kai caught pneumonia and was scary sick for a longer time than we would’ve wished. Everyone is finally back up and moving, and so I’m working on my New Year’s Resolution: blog more!
From January 15th to June 15th, we’ll be doing the Buy Nothing (New) Challenge. Between a huge pile of medical bills coming our way and generally wanting to increase our savings and pay off our student loans, we’ve been taking a good hard look at our lifestyle and are ready to make a change. So we are going five months without buying any new consumer goods. We’ll be using up, fixing up, and making do.
- If it’s new, whether it comes from a Big Box store or WAHM or anywhere else, it’s off limits.
- Thrift stores and Goodwill are a-ok.
- Local Buy/Sell/Trade and Buy Nothing groups are ok.
- Non-local Buy/Sell/Trade groups are off limits.
- Consumable goods
- Food, limiting eating out and focusing on cooking.
- Toilet paper and other hygiene products, favoring reusable products wherever possible.
- If she ends up growing out of her shoes, I will buy her new shoes.
- I know we’ll have to buy more printer ink at some point soon.
- I have two baby showers to go to during this period, both for moms who want to try cloth diapering. As you guys know, I am a huge proponent of cloth diapering, and will be buying both new diapers.
- Birthday present for my dad. (Surprise: It’ll be a book. It’s always a book.)
- Maintenance and Repair
- Car repair
- There’s always something.
- Home repair
- I know we’re going to have to replace the weather stripping on our back door.
- If I don’t have to use cash to acquire the object, then it’s okay, even if its new.
- Already ordered:
- We have one outstanding order that still requires some payment, and we’ll be doing that.
- If we buy something that breaks the rule, the offending item will be posted on Instagram, for all of you to shame me/encourage me to do better as you so choose.
In June, we will look back at our journey and see if we want to try for another five months. I plan to update on the blog once a month, and probably more often on Instagram #buynothing5. Wish us luck!